Oxted, Limpsfield and District Housing Association Limited, more popularly known as Crabwood, owes its existence to Mrs Georgette Parry who was involved in the post-war years in setting up many local voluntary groups.
She had an idea for setting up homes for the over 60’s, recognising the need for small homes to enable the over 60’s to continue to lead independent lives.
A Limited Company was set up in 1957, and a property, ‘The Clough’, purchased, this being converted into ten flats.
The property Crabwood, was presented to the Association by the daughter of Mr Spicer, a local veterinary surgeon, following his death. This property provided another eleven flats, and opened in 1962. Demand was high, so it was decided to sell The Clough, and the proceeds were used to build two further blocks of self contained flats at Crabwood, opening in 1972 and 1978.